On 30 March 2020 the President announced that the government would undertake a project to do public testing for the COVID-19 virus. Ten thousand field workers will go out to our communities to assist in identifying the persons infected with the virus, this will assist in fighting the invisible enemy and assist in preventing the spread of the virus.
So what do we know about this project?
- Persons will be visited at their home to be screened for possible symptoms.
- If they do display any symptoms they will be referred to their local clinic or to a mobile clinic for testing.
- People who are infected with COVID-19, but who have no or moderate symptoms will remain in isolation at home or at a facility provided by government, and those with severe symptoms will be transferred to hospitals.
Unfortunately, we must be weary of persons who would seek an opportunity to take advantage of the vulnerable. A few things to remember are:
- Verify. When being visited by a field worker verify their credentials.
- Keep in touch with your community. Join your community Facebook Group and enquire if testing is taking place in the surrounding area.
- Know your neighbour. Keep a lookout for each other.
- Keep informed by watching and reading the news to stay informed.
- Most importantly: Visit the South African Government webpage at www.gov.za. This page contains the official correspondence from government.