Sonica Schoeman Director - Quality & Risk Management
BCom Accounting Sciences (Cum Laude) (UP), B Com Hons Accounting Sciences (UP), CA (SA)
Sonica is a Director in the Quality & Risk Management Department specialising in IFRS.
Sonica studied a B Com Accounting at UP and qualified as a Chartered Accountant in 2005. She passed her degree with Honours.
She started her career with Mazars in 2019 after completing articles at a competitor firm where she also served in an IFRS technical capacity for 14 years.
She spent 3 months on secondment in Calgary, Alberta in Canada during 2008 working on the diagnostic phase of various entities’ first-time adoption of IFRS.
Sonica is also a skilled facilitator of internal and external IFRS training.
Her industries of expertise include:
- Retail & Consumer Products
- Mining & Metals
- Property companies (including REITs)
Sonica provides technical advice to the audit teams of our clients on various issues relating to IFRS.
Her IFRS-related work involves the following:
- IFRS advisory services to clients
- Writing accounting opinions and discussion papers
- IFRS training material preparation and presentation, both internally and externally
- Drafting and reviewing of IFRS articles published internally as well as externally
- Drafting IFRS templates and guidance documents for internal use in the audit process
- Review of annual reports for IFRS compliance
- Reviewing consultations as part of the firm’s quality management on audit files
- Team member development
- Discussing and debating complex IFRS matters amongst team members
- Participating in the Mazars IFRS Committee, a global community of IFRS experts that provides guidance on topical matters, conclude on difficult IFRS matters, respond to IASB requests for information, etc.
- Serving as a member on various IFRS committees comprising of individuals from various accounting firms, such as SAICA sub-committees
- SAICA (South African Institute of Chartered Accountants)
- IRBA (Independent Regulatory Board for Auditors)