Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment (B-BBEE) is an initiative by the South African government to promote economic transformation. Mazars offers services that help businesses to measure and improve their BEE scorecard status.
One of the core values that underpin day-to-day operations at Mazars is diversity and respect. Against the backdrop of this principle, we understand that Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment (B-BBEE) holds both challenges and opportunities for businesses of all shapes, sizes, and structures in South Africa.
B-BBEE is a government initiative to promote economic transformation in order to enable meaningful participation in the economy by black people. Essentially, the practical working of B-BBEE requires a business to ensure that it measures its B-BBEE status based on the Amended Codes of Good Practice.
The B-BBEE status of an entity is measured across five elements namely ownership; management control; skills development; enterprise and supplier development; and socio-economic development. Additionally, there are three qualifying thresholds for businesses to determine the basis of measurement to be used in determining their B-BBEE scorecard status and recognition level.
Here is a breakdown of the five elements on the B-BBEE scorecard:
- Ownership measures the black ownership of the entity.
- Management Control measures the effective governance and management control of entities by black people.
- Skills Development measures the training and development of black people through specific types of learning programmes and learnerships which qualify when claiming points on the skills development scorecard.
- Enterprise and Supplier Development measures the procurement spend from BEE suppliers. Additionally, it measures the Supplier Development and Enterprise Development contributions to EME and QSE beneficiary entities that are at least 51% black-owned; contributing to their development, sustainability, and financial and operational independence.
- Socio-Economic Development measures contributions to socio-economic development.
At Mazars, we offer the following B-BBEE services to our clients:
- B-BBEE Verification
- B-BBEE Consulting
- Preparation for verification
- B-BBEE Competent Persons certificates and Joint Venture certificates
- B-BBEE strategy development, implementation and other technical services
- B-BBEE training and workshops
- Sector codes and consultation
- Public sector supply chain consulting
Please feel free to reach out and we will get back to you with more information for your specific needs as soon as possible: